Friday 21 December 2012

Advent: The Nutcracker again

http://thetigerchronicle.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Christmas

The Nutcracker theme has been a Christmas tradition in our household for quite a few years now.  This year is no exception.


We read the unabridged version for bedtime story,


followed by getting more out of the story by reading the DK Eyewitness version which gives other interesting background information to the story.  Then Tiger completed the Nutcracker Activity Book that he had started on when he was four years old.  The activity book contains various activities such as mazes, crossword puzzles, colouring-by-numbers, anagrams, etc.


We listened to two different CDs of The Nutcracker music -- one with narration, the other was purely instrumental -- as we went about our days.


Last year we were able to attend a live performance of the ballet at the Royal Opera House.  This year, we have to be contented with watching the performance at home.

After watching the ballet on the screen, Tiger remembered seeing much of the stage changes at the live performance last year, and he was inspired to put on his own theatre show of the story at home, complete with prop changes:



Although we did not get to watch the ballet live this year, we did however get to attend an orchestral concert of the same piece of music in which a prominent illustrator completed several pieces of illustrations live on stage, in time with each section of the music.


Before the concert, Tiger attended a craft workshop where he made a paper nutcracker and a mouse king's crown.




This post is linked up to:
1) Homeschool Mother's Journal: December 21, 2012
2) Collage Friday - Christmas Preparations
3) TGIF Linky Party #58
4) Weekly Wrap-Up: The One When the World Didn't End
5) Look What We Did: December Link-Up 
6) All Year Round Blog Carnival: Winter
7) Homeschool Hobbies and Handicrafts - Dec 21

5 comments:

  1. We have been enjoying the Nutcracker this year too. I have never seen the Maurice Sendak version, I will have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just read the exact same Nutcracker book. In fact we finished it tonight. My five year old daughter loved it and my nine year old son would have preferred a different story.

    I have been following your blog for a long time and admire the hands-off approach you have switched to this year. I don't know if I have enough courage to do the same.

    Homeschool Hobbies and Handicrafts (my blog hop)- may help convince me. I would love it if you linked-up. It's a place to link activities that kids are doing which they were inspired to do.

    I love that he put on an entire performance after reading the book. That's awesome!

    http://highhillhomeschool.blogspot.com/2012/12/homeschool-hobbies-and-handicrafts-dec_21.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our kids have performed in the Nutcracker the last three years. The love the story. I love how creative your son was with the legos.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. My girls also perform in the Nutcracker every year, but this was our first year doing a Nutcracker unit. I love the mouse king crown Tiger made!

    Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am putting it on my 2013 Calendar to start a Nutcracker Unit on Monday Dec 2nd - I don't want to miss out again!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...