Friday 17 April 2015

Will the Real Sherlock Please Stand Up?



Our search for Sherlock Holmes takes us from books to documentaries about:

If there is one place on earth that any self-respecting Sherlock fan wants to be seen hanging out at, it is here:


Getting to Baker Street tube station is only the first step.  What we are really after is house number 221b on Baker Street, which houses The Sherlock Holmes Museum.


Anyone who has read the entire canon of Sherlock Holmes, as Tiger has, will instantly recognise all the small details and different scenes/characters dotted inside different rooms of the Victorian house.


According to Tiger, looking at the various instruments that Holmes and Watson would have used in the various stories have certainly brought the stories more to life.



I must confess that I have not read every Sherlock Holmes story, but even I can recognise a few of the most famous characters, just by listening to Tiger's informal narrations of what he has read.


It would be very commendable to be able to read every book that Tiger reads, but I can't keep up with my son's reading speed.  However, I find that it helps to take an active interest in familiarising myself with the main plot of the story and a few of the main characters, in this case that means being able to recognise the hound from The Hound of the Baskervilles and Professor Moriaty, Holmes' arch enemy.

6 comments:

  1. You always open my eyes to all the opportunities around us, Hwee! I've walked past 221b Baker Street so many times - I did my hypnotherapy training just around the corner at Regents College - but I've never visited the museum. We are so lucky to have so much culture on our doorsteps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny that you should say that, Lucinda. I lived in St. John's Wood for two years and walked past the museum everyday back then but was never tempted to go in (I wasn't a Sherlock fan back then) until now. I'm very glad that Tiger's interest is taking us both to new and interesting places! :-)

      Delete
  2. Your school is so interesting at the moment! As always your fieldtrips are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Claire. :-) It just happens that we are able to get to the Sherlock Holmes Museum, which makes the stories come alive.

      Delete
  3. Hwee,

    My children love Sherlock Holmes, but, sad to say, I have never read any of the stories though I am familiar with lots of details. We will enjoy taking a tour of the museum via the video you posted. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only read a few, but can now see the appeal to so many around the world! :-) Hope you enjoy taking the virtual tour. It's the most comprehensive video of the museum that I can find.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...